Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chile Lime Kale Chips

Pin It

The kale legacy continues. My friend, Mina introduced me to home made kale chips a few weeks ago that had only olive oil and salt and they were delicious. Eating her creation inspired me to create a recipe of my own. I hope you like these. They are a healthy, tasty treat. Using 1 bunch of kale makes about 2-3 cups of chips and serves about 2 people. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 bunch of lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur kale (refer to my All hail, kale! post for a photo), torn into chip size pieces, stems removed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2-3/4 tsp mild chile powder (I used the Chile 3000 mix from Penzey's)
1/2-3/4 tsp dried lemon salt, or gray sea salt
Zest of 1 lime

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash kale pieces and dry thoroughly. The drying step is really important because if the kale is not completely dry, it will steam and not crisp properly.  Toss kale with olive oil and 1/2 tsp each chile powder and salt in a large bowl. It's fine to do this in batches if you need more room in the bowl. Mix until kale is well coated and glistening. Place kale pieces in a single layer on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet. Bake in the oven for 12-16 minutes until leaves are crispy. Remove from oven and allow to rest until room temperature, about 5-7 minutes. Toss with lime zest. Add remaining chile powder and salt, if desired. Consume without guilt!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I made kale chips this year. We loved them...I was so surprised how well they hold a good crunch!

    ReplyDelete